Streaming Orthos in Xplane 11/12 HOWTO

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!

• Moin

As I had some direct chats supporting installing autoortho I would like to summarize in a short HOWTO to help others in this post.

What is it?

autoortho is a freeware tool, written in python, which allows you to fetch orthos while you are flying. e.g.: "the same as in msfs".

Besides a "base package" you do not need to store orthoimages on your harddrives but instead it will download them on the fly while you are on your way. :S

What do I need?

You need obviously a fast and stable internet connection, Linux or Windows > 10 and X-Plane must be installed on a NTFS Filesysystem (FAT32 does not work)

Installation

-> Step 0: Install Prerequisites

First you need the dokan library: https://github.com/dokan-dev/dokany/releases/tag/v2.0.6.1000

I would recommend the msi installer. ( Dokan_x64.msi )

Step 1: Install autoortho

Download autoortho and put it somewhere (I have it in my x-plane directory) : https://github.com/kubilus1/autoortho/releases

Version current in this guide was 0.4.0

See FAQ below if you get an antivirus warning

-> Step 2: Configure autoortho and download packs

Set your "Custom Scenery" Folder and an arbitrary directory where autoortho should save its images (a cache)

Download 1 or more base packages for every region you want to fly:

image.png

After it says "up to date" your scenery folder should look like this:

-> Step 2.1.: Configure `scenery_packs.ini`

Move the autoortho folders to the bottom of your scenery packs (i.e. all your other libraries above, but the overlay before the z_ folders)

Code: scenery_packs.ini
    SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/yAutoOrtho_Overlays/
    SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/z_autoortho/
    SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/z_afr_00/
    SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/z_afr_01/
    SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/z_afr_02/
    SCENERY_PACK Custom Scenery/z_afr_03/

-> Step 3: RUN the autoortho tool:

Click the run button and the GUI will disappear

forum.aiena.de/wsc/index.php?attachment/519/

After that the Terminal stays open and looks somehow like this:

Start X-Plane and enjoy

FAQ

-> I get an antivirus / malware warning

False positive. Check this thread at x-plane.org

image.png

-> HOWTO Run this baby with X-EUROPE / X-WORLD

Its possible to combine it with X-World! :)

SImply DISABLE the overlays in your scenery_packs.ini and put the X-WORLD overlays above it

My file looks like this:

-> I dont trust the malware warning and want to run it from source / without the .exe

POSSIBLE!

1. Download and install python 3.10: https://www.python.org/downloads/release/python-31010/

2. run the run.bat in a terminal

It will download all dependencies automatically and start the program after it:

Enjoy flying!

• FAQ continued

-> What happens if network breaks during flight?

X-Plane will hang (unresponsive) until it can read that tile unfortunately...

-> I get this! Help!

image.png

Start autoortho first! (Click on RUN)

It must be running before starting X-Plane

-> Which Zoolevel are the Orthos?

It loads tiles automatically based on x-planes mipmapping, so that it only downloads the resolution actually needed.

Based on your Height and Path.

From ZL11 to ZL18

• XRoads

If you don't like the default roads in xplane (as i do) you can use thisalso with xroads.

Just run xroads.exe after installing the basepack and you are fine.

You will get the roads from the orthos but cars/buildings etc from X-World or overlays

Like here:

• i installed the software per the instructions and edited my ini files per the instructions. i then run the autoortho app then launch xp11 and get an error saying it cannot locate a terrain.dds file can u help please

miranda